Man has arm amputated after eating sushi
Something fishy going on
© Getty Images
Are you a sushi lover? Think again before you continue reading. According to The Sun, a South Korean man had his hand and forearm got amputated after eating sushi.
The 71- year- old man was overwhelmed with unbearable pain in his hand the day after eating the raw fish. When he went to the hospital two days later his hand had turned pink and swollen. The hand was covered with enormous blood-filled sac and fluid-filled lumps. Immediately he was referred to the surgery department.
Tests revealed that the man was infected with vibrio vulnificus, a flesh-eating bacteria found in salty water. People can get infected with the bacteria when eating seafood or having an open wound exposed to the bacteria.
The man was treated with antibiotics, but because he suffered from diabetes, his immune system has been affected and the medication didn't help. Meanwhile, the infection was spreading through his body and there was no other way to stop it than to amputate his hand and forearm. Yikes!
Do you still crave that sushi?
Celebrities with misspelled tattoos
CELEBRITY michael jackson
Celebs who have defended Michael Jackson
Beautiful oases all over the world
CELEBRITY Leonardo DiCaprio
All the beautiful women Leonardo DiCaprio has romanced
TRAVEL Polar vortex
Stunning pictures of the polar vortex in the US
CELEBRITY Academy Awards
Flashback Friday: iconic photos from Oscars past
LIFESTYLE Black History Month
Amazing inventions we have African Americans to thank for
CELEBRITY Black celebrities
African-American celebrities who are vocal about equality
TRAVEL Los Angeles
Insider Tips: Visiting LA, the entertainment capital of the world
Countries with the highest and lowest levels of corruption